Minor Programme in Social Work**
** This Minor Programme will not lead to the same professional recognition as students who complete the programmes as major.
The Social Work Department offers a number of courses to students who would like to pursue a Minor Programme. The completion of the Minor in Social Work does not lead to the professional recognition as a Registered Social Worker (RSW). Students who would like to consider taking social work as a minor should preferably have an interest in social work policies, the social welfare systems and services. An aptitude in addressing social issues and support of the disadvantaged would be conducive to completing a social work minor.
:: MINOR REQUIREMENTS::
- The minimum credit requirement for a Minor is 15 and each student is required to take at least one Minor course at Level 3 or 4.
- No GPA requirement needed for declaring a Minor.
- Each student can study at most one Minor.
- Due to the comparatively packed curriculum and/or the restriction stipulated by professional bodies/authority, students of the following programmes are not eligible to take Minor programme in other departments:
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) in Accounting
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) in Law and Business
- Bachelor of Social Work (Hons.)
:: COURSE LISTS OF MINOR PROGRAMME:: (for 2018/19 cohort and after)
Students are required to complete a minimum of 15 credits by choosing courses form the list below. Course enrollment spaces for students minoring in Social Work are limited and usually will not be more than three for each course.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits||Pre-requisite(s)|
|SW100||Introduction to Philosophy of Social Welfare and Social Work||3||Nil|
|SW110||Social Welfare System and Services in Hong Kong||3||Nil|
|SW200||Theories and Methods in Working with Individuals||3||Nil|
|SW240||Theories and Methods in Community Work||3||Nil|
|SW300||Social Policy and Planning||3||SW100 & SW110|
|SW310||Working with at Risk and Hidden Youth||2||Nil|
|SW340||Working with Older Adults||2||Nil|
|SW360||Working with New Arrivals and Ethnic Minorities||2||Nil|
|SW480||Social Service Management||
2 (For 2020/2021)
3 (From 2021/2022 onwards)