Dr. LIU Chi Pun, Ben
Academic and Professional Qualifications
Ph.D. in Community Medicine & Behavioural Science, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
MA in Social Work Studies, University of Kent, United Kingdom
Postgraduate Diploma in Organisational Psychology, Birkbeck College, University of London, United Kingdom
Diploma in Social Work, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
Associate Professor, Department of Social Work, Hong Kong Shue Yan University, Hong Kong
Senior Lecturer, Department of Social Work, University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Lecturer, Department of Social Work, Brunel University London, United Kingdom
Assistant Professor, The Open University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Deputy Director, Aged Care Research Unit, Haven of Hope Hospital, Hong Kong
Medical Social Worker, Haven of Hope Hospital, Hong Kong
Social Worker, Haven of Hope Christian Service, Hong Kong
Social Worker, Caritas Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Areas of Interest
Gerontology and ageing, working with vulnerable people and families
Working with new arrivals and ethnic minorities
Social policy and planning
Medical social work
- Liu, B.C.P., Leung, D.S.Y. & Warrener, J. (2019). The interaction effect of gender and residential environment, individual resources, and needs satisfaction on quality of life among older adults in the UK. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 5: 1-11.
- Liu, B. C. (2017). Intersectional impact of multiple identities on social work education in the UK. Journal of Social Work, 17(2), 226-242.
- Irving, L. & Liu, B.C.P. (2016). Beaten into Submissiveness? An Investigation into the Protective Strategies used by Survivors of Domestic Abuse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. Online First publication: 14th December 2016.
- Leung, D.Y.P., Bai, X., Leung, A.Y.M., Liu, B.C.P., Chi, I. (2015). Prevalence of medication adherence and its associated factors among community-dwelling Chinese older adults in Hong Kong. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 15(6):789-96.
- Liu, B.C.P. & Chi, I. (2013). The moderating effect of medication review on polypharmacy and loneliness among older Chinese primary care patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 61(2), 290-292.
- Liu, B.C.P. (2013). Perceived pain and quality of life in older adults in the United Kingdom. In B. Li (Ed.) Global Aging Issues and Policies. Charles, C. Thomas Publisher, Ltd.
- Liu, B.C.P., Leung, S.Y. & Chi, I. (2011). Social functioning, polypharmacy and depression in older Chinese primary care patients, Aging & Mental Health, 15(6), 732-741.
- Leung, S.Y. & Liu, B.C.P. (2011). Lifelong education, quality of life and self-efficacy of Chinese older adults, Educational Gerontology, 37 (11), 967-981.
- Chi, I., Law, B.V.K.K., Leung, A.C.T., Liu, C.P., Yeoh, C.S., Cheng, Y.H., Ma, A.M.K., Kwan, C.W. & Lai C. (2010). Residential Assessment Instrument 2.0 in care planning for residents in nursing homes, Hong Kong Medical Journal, 16(3) (Supp), 29-33.
- Liu, B.C.P. & Leung, A.C. (2008). Care management for hospital-discharged older persons: An 18 month randomised controlled trial, Asian Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 3, 105-112.
- Liu, C.P., Leung, A.C., Li, S.Y., Chi, I. & N.W.S. Chow (2004). An experience of social work case management for frail elders in Hong Kong. Gerontology & Geriatrics International, 4(1): 173-177.
- Leung, A.C., Liu, C.P., Chow, N. & Chi, I. (2004) Cost-benefit analysis of a case management project for the community-dwelling frail elderly in Hong Kong. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 23 (1), 70-85.
- Leung, A.C., Yau, D.C.N., Liu, C.P., Yeoh, C.S., Chui, T.Y., Chi, I., & Chow, N.W.S. (2004). Reducing utilisation of hospital services by case management: a randomised controlled trial. Australian Health Review, 28 (1), 79-86.
- Liu, C.P., Tsui, L.L., Leung, A.C., Siu, W.H., Tang, W.Y., Yau, D.C.N. & Li, S.Y. (2003). Informal Caregiving for Weak Seniors in Hong Kong. In Z. Shen (ed) Enhancing the Life Quality of the Elderly in the New Millennium. Shanghai: Wah Ling Press. 992-1005.
- Leung, A.C., Liu, C.P., Chi, I., & Chow, N.W.S. (2001). The use of Minimum Data Set—Home Care in a case management project in Hong Kong. Care Management Journals, 3 (1), pp.8-13.
- Chou, K.L., Chi, I., Leung, A.C., Wu, Y.M., & Liu, C.P. (2001). Validation of Minimum Data Set for Nursing Home in Hong Kong Chinese Elders. Clinical Gerontologist, 23 (1/2), pp.43-54.
- Chi, I., Leung, A.C., Cheng, Y.H., Liu, C.P., & Chou, K.L. (2001). Validation Study of the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI 2.0) for the Elderly in Residential Facilities in Hong Kong. Hong Kong: Centre on Ageing, the University of Hong Kong.
- Liu, C.P., Cheng, Y.H. & McGhee, S.M. (2001). Health care utilization patterns of the community-dwelling elderly persons in Hong Kong. In I Chi, NL Chappell & J Lubben (eds.) Elderly Chinese in Pacific Rim Countries. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, pp.241-256.
- Tsui, L.L., Liu, C.P., Li, S.Y., Tang, W.Y. & Leung, A.C. (2000). Intergenerational relationship and long-term care for the elderly in Hong Kong. In China Gerontology Association (ed) Gerontology and Ageing in the 21st Century. Shandong: China Labour Social Security Press, pp.359-366.
- Liu, C.P., Cheng, Y.H., McGhee, S.M., & Hedley, A.J. (1999). Aged care and health-related quality of life: the significance of formal and informal care to elderly persons – the Hong Kong scene. In I Chi (ed) A Study on Chinese Ageing Issues, Hong Kong: Hon Chuen Chinese Professional Management Centre, pp.65-79.
- Oral presentation at the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatric European Region Congress 2019 in Gothenburg, Sweden, 23-25/5/2019
a. The gender differences in quality of life among older adults in the UK: implications for research and practice
b. Online Health-Seeking Behaviour and Digital Health divide among Older Adults in the UK
- Poster presentation at the 24th Nordic Congress of Gerontology” in Oslo, Norway, 2-4/5/2018
a. Care patterns and quality of life in older social care service users in the UK
b. Changes in health and health-seeking behaviours among older adults in China: a longitudinal report
Oral presentation at the Asian Conference on Aging & Gerontology conference in Kobe, Japan, 8-10/6/2018
a. Care Utilisation and Accessibility to Information in Female Older Adults in the UK
b. Impact of Residential Environment on Perceived Anxiety and Depression in Older Adults in the UK
c. Life Threatening Experiences and Quality of Life in Chinese Older Women
Acting as editor, special editor, or referee for learned journals; acting as academic referee for research councils, foundations or academic publishers
Peer reviewer, British Journal of Social Work
Peer reviewer, Journal of Family Social Work
Peer reviewer, Practice: Social Work in Action
Peer reviewer, Ageing & Mental Health
Peer reviewer, Heath & Social Care in the Community
Peer reviewer, the Asian Conference on Ageing & Gerontology