Dr. WONG Fung Yee, Margaret
Head of Department / Associate Professor of Practice
Academic and Professional Qualifications
Doctor in Social Work (Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
Masters in Arts (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Executive Management Program, Strategic Perspectives in Non-profit Organization (Harvard University, USA)
Masters in Social Science (University of Hong Kong)
Bachelor in Social Work (Mississippi University for Women, U.S.A.)
Consultant Supervisor, Supportive Supervision Scheme
Senior Addiction Counsellor
Master of Addiction Counsellor and Training
Certificate in Advanced Motivational Interviewing
Emerge Certified Trainer, Advanced Group Leader and Group Leader Training on Batterers Treatment
Registered Social Worker
SW 480 Social Work Management (section 1 & 2)
Expertise and Interest
- Visiting Associate (Postgraduate), (Part-time),
Department of Applied Social Sciences, HK Polytechnic University,
- Consultant Supervisor, Supportive Supervision Scheme, HK Social Workers Association
- Lecturer /Field Director, Chinese University of HK
Trainer in Seminars and Workshops Organized by
University of Hong Kong
Social Welfare Department
Jockey Club Suicide Prevention and Research Center
Hong Kong Council of Social Services
Hong Kong Social Workers Association
Equal Opportunities Commission
Hong Kong Women Lawyers Association
Hong Kong Mediation Council
City University of Hong Kong
Chinese University of Hong Kong
Published Papers and Research Reports
- Shaffer, H. J., Tom, M. A., Wiley, R., Wong, M., Chan, E. M. L., Cheng, G., Lo, C. Ma, E., Wong, R. (2018) "Using the Syndrome Model of Addiction: A Preliminary Consideration of Psychological Processes". International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-018-9952-2 (Q2 Journal)
- Shaffer, H. J., Tom, M. Wong, M. F. Y., Chan, E. M. L. Cheng, G. L. F. Lo, C. K. M., Ma, E. K. Y., Wong, R. H. Y. (2017). Treating Addiction as a Syndrome: Bridging Research and Clinical Practice. Trends in Medicine, Harvard Medical School. https://trends.hms.harvard.edu/2017/04/07/treating-addiction-as-a syndrome-bridging-research-and-clinical-practice/
- Study on Communications between School and Parents, Commissioned by Education Bureau (2017-18) ( research team member)
- Wong, M., Chan, E.M.L., Cheng, G., Lo, C.,Ma, E., Wong, R., Shaffer, H.J., TOm, M.A. (2016). Report on Multiple Expressions of Addiction: Psychosocial Correlates and Treatment Trajectories of Treatment Seekers. Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs)and Division on Addiction, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School.
- "Observational Study on the Efficacy of Various Modalities of Nicotine Replacement Therapy available in Hong Kong", Research report. TWGHs (2014).
- "Breaking Point – Help-seeking Behavior of Older Chinese who Experienced Elder Mistreatment", Research report. Tung Wah Group of Hospitals and University of Hong Kong, 2013.
- 開啟男士服務之門－連繫男士研究, 東華三院及浸會大學, 2013 。
- "An Evaluation Study of the Integrated Smoking Cessation Services of TWGHs". Research report, TWGHs and University of Hong Kong, 2011.
- "Psychiatric Comorbidity among Pathological Gamblers Seeking Treatment in Hong Kong". Research report , TWGHs and Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2010.
- Ren and Yuan: A Cultural Interpretation of Chinese Women’s Responses to Battering, “ A. Tiwari, H. Ip, Margaret Wong, Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, 2001, Vol.33, NO. 3, p. 63-79.
- “Say No to Family Violence,” Social Service Quarterly, Hong Kong Council of Social Service, Issue NO. 159, Winter 2001.
- “Through the Eyes of our Children,” Policy Watch, Issue No.3 Oct 1999.
“Multidisciplinary Responses in Domestic Violence: How we Started and Where we are Heading,” in “Preventing Family violence : A multidisciplinary Approach,” Chan, Ko-ling (ed) (2012), Hong Kong University Press.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- "Gender Equality, Gender Role Traditionalism and Gender Equality in Children-rearing”, 4th International Conference on Women Shelters, Taiwan, Nov 5-8, 2019.
- 從香港防治家庭暴力工作看家暴問題的演化, 2013 兩岸四地反家暴論壇
- "Domestic Violence in Hong Kong,” Women’s Forum on Beijing+10, April 2005, Beijing, China.
- "An integrated Model to Stop Family Violence,” 7th International Conference of Family Violence, Sept 2002, San Diego, USA.
- "What can we do to stop family violence?” Family Planning 50th Anniversary Symposium, July 2000.
- "Family Violence in the Wider Context, “ ISPCAN 5th Asian Conference on Child Protection, Nov 1999.
Community Participation and Representation in Advisory Boards, Committees
- Government Appointed Member of the Family Council (2019-present)
- Government Appointed Member of Research Advisory Group (RAG), Narcotics Division, Security Bureau, HKSAR. (2017-present)
- Member of Drug Liaison Committee, Narcotics Division, Security Bureau, HKSAR (2010-2018)
- Government Appointed Member of Steering committee on Prevention and Control of Non Communicable Disease, Dept of Health, HKSARG (2015-2018)
- Member of the SWD Interdepartmental Working Group on Combating Violence (1999-2009) (2015- 2018)
- Government Appointed Member of Equal Opportunities commission (2005-2009)
- Government Appointed Founding Member of Women’s Commission (2001-2006)
- Member of the SWD Advisory Group for the Study on Child Abuse and Spouse Battering (2004-2006)
- External Advisor to the Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Hong Kong College of Technology (2013-2018)
- External Advisor to the High Diploma in Social Work , Hong Kong College of Technology (2015-present)
- Council Member of the Gender Research Center, CUHK, (2009-present)
- Executive Council Member of the Consortium of Institutes of Family in the Asian Region (CIFA) (2014-present)
- Co-chair of the First International Conference on Parenting in the 21st Century, Hong Kong (Oct, 2016)
- CO-Chair of Asia Pacific Association for Addiction Professional (APAAP) (2015-18)
- Member of the Hong Kong Alliance for Advocacy Against Alcohol, HK College of Community Medicine (2015-present)
- Member of the Specialized Committee on Family & Community Services, HKCSS (2004-2007) (2012-15) (2016-2018)
- Member of the Committee on IFSC, HKCSS, (2012-2018)
- Member of NGO IFSC Network, HKCSS, (2012-2018)
- Member of the Standing Committee of Service Development, HKCSS (2011-2015)
- Member of the Specialized Committee on Social Development (2004-2005, 2007-2009, 2017-18)
- Member of the Working Group on the Guidelines for Handling Domestic Violence, HK Social Workers Association (2004)
Expertise and Interest
Administration and Management
- Social Service Administration and Management
- Service Development and Strategic Planning
- Resource Development
- Regional and International Networking and Collaboration
- Policy Analysis and Advocacy
- Domestic Violence
- Batterers Treatment and Psycho Educational Groups
- Family Services and Parenting
- Residential Services for Emotionally Disturbed Youth and Children
- Addiction Treatment and Prevention
Service model development
- Introduced the Batterers Treatment Program Emerge model in HK
- Introduced Child Witness to Domestic Violence program in HK
- Piloted Domestic Violence Crisis Intervention Team stationed in ER Hospital setting
- Spearheaded the review of Cap 189, Ordinance on Domestic Violence
- Establish the first Multi Addiction Center in HK
- Introduced Mobile Truck Outreach Model in IFSC
- Set up the first Men's Center based on gender perspective
- Set up the first Parents Academy in TWGHs
- Spearheaded the youth hostel development
- Youth Development and Social Impact Hub
- Pilot Eco-village for families and youth
- Introduced Single Session Therapy in HK and pilot in addiction counseling
- Introduced Gender Mainstreaming Practices in NGOs