Dr. Ben LIU Chi-pun 廖志彬博士
Associate Professor / Director of HKSYU Centre on Social Work Clinical Practice, Research, and Training Partnership
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Organisational Psychology, Birkbeck College, University of London, United Kingdom
- Ph.D. in Community Medicine & Behavioural Science, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- MA in Social Work Studies, University of Kent, United Kingdom
- Diploma in Social Work, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Registered Social Worker, Social Workers Registration Board
Areas of Interest
- Gerontology and ageing, working with vulnerable people and families
- SW 251 Social Work Research I
- SW 300 Social Policy and Planning
- SW 360 Working with New Arrivals and Ethnic Minorities
- Liu, B.C.P. (In press). The impact of intersectionality of multiple identities on the digital health divide, quality of life, and loneliness among older adults in the UK. The British Journal of Social Work. DOI: 10.1093/bjsw/bcaa149
- Irving, L. & Liu, B.C.P. (2020). Beaten into submissiveness? An investigation into the protective strategies used by survivors of domestic abuse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 35 (1-2), 294-318.
- Liu, B.C.P., Leung, D.S.Y. & Warrener, J. (2019). The interaction effect of gender and residential environment, individual resources, and needs satisfaction on quality of life among older adults in the UK. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 5: 1-11.
- Liu, B.C. (2017). Intersectional impact of multiple identities on social work education in the UK. Journal of Social Work, 17(2), 226-242.
- Leung, D.Y.P., Bai, X., Leung, A.Y.M., Liu, B.C.P., Chi, I. (2015). Prevalence of medication adherence and its associated factors among community-dwelling Chinese older adults in Hong Kong. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 15(6):789-96.
- Liu, B.C.P. & Chi, I. (2013). The moderating effect of medication review on polypharmacy and loneliness among older Chinese primary care patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 61(2), 290-292.
- Liu, B.C.P. (2013). Perceived pain and quality of life in older adults in the United Kingdom. In B. Li (Ed.) Global Aging Issues and Policies. Charles, C. Thomas Publisher, Ltd.
- Liu, B.C.P., Leung, S.Y. & Chi, I. (2011). Social functioning, polypharmacy and depression in older Chinese primary care patients, Aging & Mental Health, 15(6), 732-741.
- Leung, S.Y. & Liu, B.C.P. (2011). Lifelong education, quality of life and self-efficacy of Chinese older adults, Educational Gerontology, 37 (11), 967-981.
- Chi, I., Law, B.V.K.K., Leung, A.C.T., Liu, C.P., Yeoh, C.S., Cheng, Y.H., Ma, A.M.K., Kwan, C.W. & Lai C. (2010). Residential Assessment Instrument 2.0 in care planning for residents in nursing homes, Hong Kong Medical Journal, 16(3) (Supp), 29-33.
- Liu, B.C.P. & Leung, A.C. (2008). Care management for hospital-discharged older persons: An 18 month randomised controlled trial, Asian Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 3, 105-112.
- Liu, C.P., Leung, A.C., Li, S.Y., Chi, I. & N.W.S. Chow (2004). An experience of social work case management for frail elders in Hong Kong. Gerontology & Geriatrics International, 4(1): 173-177.
- Leung, A.C., Liu, C.P., Chow, N. & Chi, I. (2004) Cost-benefit analysis of a case management project for the community-dwelling frail elderly in Hong Kong. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 23 (1), 70-85.
- Leung, A.C., Yau, D.C.N., Liu, C.P., Yeoh, C.S., Chui, T.Y., Chi, I., & Chow, N.W.S. (2004). Reducing utilisation of hospital services by case management: a randomised controlled trial. Australian Health Review, 28 (1), 79-86.
- Liu, C.P., Tsui, L.L., Leung, A.C., Siu, W.H., Tang, W.Y., Yau, D.C.N. & Li, S.Y. (2003). Informal Caregiving for Weak Seniors in Hong Kong. In Z. Shen (ed) Enhancing the Life Quality of the Elderly in the New Millennium. Shanghai: Wah Ling Press. 992-1005.
- Leung, A.C., Liu, C.P., Chi, I., & Chow, N.W.S. (2001). The use of Minimum Data Set—Home Care in a case management project in Hong Kong. Care Management Journals, 3 (1), pp.8-13.
- Chou, K.L., Chi, I., Leung, A.C., Wu, Y.M., & Liu, C.P. (2001). Validation of Minimum Data Set for Nursing Home in Hong Kong Chinese Elders. Clinical Gerontologist, 23 (1/2), pp.43-54.
- Chi, I., Leung, A.C., Cheng, Y.H., Liu, C.P., & Chou, K.L. (2001). Validation Study of the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI 2.0) for the Elderly in Residential Facilities in Hong Kong. Hong Kong: Centre on Ageing, the University of Hong Kong.
- Liu, C.P., Cheng, Y.H. & McGhee, S.M. (2001). Health care utilization patterns of the community-dwelling elderly persons in Hong Kong. In I Chi, NL Chappell & J Lubben (eds.) Elderly Chinese in Pacific Rim Countries. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, pp.241-256.
- Tsui, L.L., Liu, C.P., Li, S.Y., Tang, W.Y. & Leung, A.C. (2000). Intergenerational relationship and long-term care for the elderly in Hong Kong. In China Gerontology Association (ed) Gerontology and Ageing in the 21st Century. Shandong: China Labour Social Security Press, pp.359-366.
- Liu, C.P., Cheng, Y.H., McGhee, S.M., & Hedley, A.J. (1999). Aged care and health-related quality of life: the significance of formal and informal care to elderly persons – the Hong Kong scene. In I Chi (ed) A Study on Chinese Ageing Issues, Hong Kong: Hon Chuen Chinese Professional Management Centre, pp.65-79.
Conferences Attended and Papers Delivered
- The 25th Nordic Congress of Gerontology in Reykjavik, Iceland, 2nd – 5th June 2021. - a. Social inclusion and loneliness among older adults in Europe (Oral presentation) b. Health disparities in quality of life and loneliness due to digital health divide among older adults in the UK (Poster presentation)
- The International Association of Gerontology and Geriatric European Region Congress 2019 in Gothenburg, Sweden, 23rd – 25th May 2019 - a. The gender differences in quality of life among older adults in the UK: implications for research and practice (Oral presentation) b. Online Health-Seeking Behaviour and Digital Health divide among Older Adults in the UK (Oral presentation)
- The 24th Nordic Congress of Gerontology” in Oslo, Norway, 2nd – 4th May 2018 - a. Care patterns and quality of life in older social care service users in the UK (Poster presentation) b. Changes in health and health-seeking behaviours among older adults in China: a longitudinal report (Poster presentation)
- The Asian Conference on Aging & Gerontology conference in Kobe, Japan, 8th – 10th June 2018 - a. Care Utilisation and Accessibility to Information in Female Older Adults in the UK (Oral presentation) b. Impact of Residential Environment on Perceived Anxiety and Depression in Older Adults in the UK (Oral presentation) c. Life Threatening Experiences and Quality of Life in Chinese Older Women (Oral presentation)